Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Byrds Pub & Grill: Monday, March 10th 2008

All these fancy expensive places, it's time to list one that's not so foo-foo...

3 of us went to Byrd's last night to eat the nachos! I had had them once before a while ago and had a taste for them again. I remembered them being HUGE. (Last time we were told to order a 1/2 order because we'd NEVER finish it and she was right). The waitress took our order (after quite a long wait) and did not offer the same advice to us as the last waitress which I was glad about because I was excited to see how much bigger they were- I was hungry! We ordered it with ground beef and had them add shredded lettuce and diced white onions to the pile. (It was all-you-can-eat taco night, we knew the ingredients were on hand!) We added 2 bloody mary's and some wings (1/2 BBQ and 1/2 hot) to the order.

When the nachos arrived, they looked really good. However, once we got into them, we realized that there was hardly any meat on them and had to ask our waitress for more! Where was she!? I had to get up, and go look for her...she walked by us but never stopped back. We also needed more salsa, guacamole and napkins!! (I had given up on a water refill...) When she brought the meat it was in a soup cup and was enough to top off what we had left of the nachos.

But now we had a brand new problem...they had been cooked on a layer of very delicate tin foil and this made it impossible to get any of the cheese (most of it had either fallen off or melted off onto the tin foil, the nachos could have used more). To the cooks in the kitchen- not a very good idea.

I thought I had remembered the nachos having the fake runny cheese at one point. I was actually looking for that last night. I was a bit disappointed when I learned that it was shredded. I was most disappointed with the lack of difference in size between the 1/2 and full order and the very poor ratio of meat to nachos.

The worst part of last night was our (sorry, I have to say it) lazy waitress. She never cleared away any glasses and never stopped back for any reason. We would have drunk more, and likely would have stayed once we were done eating for a few cold ones. Instead, we left to go drink way more expensive beer down the road.

My advise? Sure go there, she can't be working every night, and just get the 1/2 order of nachos. It's cheaper and the exact same size. Hell, the all-you-can-eat tacos were only $6.95 and seemed to have plenty of ingredients... They had really good drink specials (Lite beer taps) and the bloody mary's were a BIG improvement from the last few times we visited early on in the establishments lifetime.

The atmosphere was nicely lit, non-smoking and looked clean. The clientele there were mostly men (great for 2 out of 3 of us!) and the place looked to be doing alright.

No comments: